Sunday, September 28, 2008

At Home in Rome

Hello lovely family and friends!
I am here and SAFE in Roma!
And it was a LONG trip coming here! I left Friday night at 6:45 from the Appleton airport. Jenny, Arch, mom, and even DAD was there! For those who don't know, my dad got sent down to Texas to help put the power back on after the hurricane and everything and wasn't supposed to be home for another two weeks. I was finishing packing Friday afternoon and mom came home from school and DAD WAS THERE TOO! It was a wonderful surprise since I did not think I'd see him until December! Praise the Lord!

I was really nervous about all my carry ons and everything...I managed to pack only one huge bag, my carry on was Jenny's backpacking pack and my "purse" was my regular backpack from school. I don't know how I managed to get through with that but they didn't really care!

I got to Minneapolis and had to walk it seemed like a mile to the other end of the airport but it was so nice because I was able to meet up with the other 8 St. Thomas students there! We finally left St. Paul at 9:15 and landed in Amsterdam at about 5am USA time/12 noon there. The majority of the group got on a flight right away but Laura Janas, and Marisa Wachtel and myself had a later flight out of Amsterdam...not until 5:45! So we bummed around the airport, I took a little nap on the floor, and it wasn't really that bad.

The woman I was sitting next to on the flight to Rome was from Tokyo and her boss lived in Appleton originally! What a small world we live it. :)
We arrived in Rome finally at 8pm Roma time. We were SO EXCITED to finally have been here after what seemed to be the longest trip of our life! Unfortunatly to make it longer my luggage never came...! :( We were worried because Thanos (The campus director over here) had arranged a car to come pick us up at 8pm and by the time I got it all sorted it was past 9pm. Apparently my luggage never left Minneapolis! At least they found it though and it should be arriving any time now. Thank you Lindsay and Mrs. Adams for the packing tip! I had enough clothes and things in my carry-on to be taken care of.
Well the car was still waiting for us...the 2 men hardly spoke any English-it was so funny. Us three girls were just SO HAPPY to finally be out of an airport! But then the car ride I think I feared more than the flight. I think we almost died 20 times. There is no such thing as traffic rules at all. We were in this big 8 seater van and the driver would speed up and slow down and go through stop signs and make illegal turns like it was the way you were supposed to drive! It was quite the Italy driving experience.
Dad, I do NOT suggest us renting a car while being here!

We made it to Bernardi (the name of the campus/building where we stay). It is much more busy than I would have thought around here. It is SO BEAUTIFUL though! I just kept running to the girls rooms and saying over and over again "We are REALLY here!"
I'm soooo happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today Leandra (my roommate) and I got up for morning prayer in the chapel (this building was an old convent and YES we have our own chapel! I can stop by to visit Jesus any time!) and then breakfast. All of the seminarians here have been in Europe since the beginning of September for a pilgrimage and to do some of their own travelling so we got to hear some funny stories from that.
Jenny--some of the guys went to INNSBRUCK! I ausgeflipt :) Unfortunatly they didn't go to the Butse Hutte. :(

We had a bit of orientation and now we have a break until more orientation later.

We have an exciting itinerary ahead of us. There are a lot of things planned for us to attend. On Friday October 3rd we get to go on a Scavi tour! AND what I am MOST excited for is the ordination of the NAC deacons at St. Peter's!

Thank you all for your prayers and support! I'm so excited for this year!
God love you!
xoxo
Sam

9 comments:

Jen said...

YAY! LOVE IT! Thanks for the email and blog entry! So so sad about your luggage but hopefully you get it soon and glad you were smart and packed things in your carry-on! Glad you're getting by! Love you tons and tons! We saw Ruth, Peter, Maria Faustina, and Mitch and Amber today at Mass. Mitch and Amber came to watch the Brewer game and that was so fun! Oh my gosh I can't WAIT until you can upload fotos! You must be soooooo tired. Hugs and love! Jen and Arch

Jen said...

PS: Can't you leave the option for people to leave a comment anonymously, or just enter a name? The way it's set up only google users and bloggers can leave comments...Adam and Kathryn's blog has the option to leave a message anonymously, unless you didn't want to do that...

Jen said...

How's the breathing??? I hope your things get to you soon, good thing you packed that carry on full! Jen & Dave hung out all weekend and then Amber & Mitch came Sun to watch sports on TV Mitch was thrilled and as the brewers game started closing in Amber admitted how surprised she was by the excitement of all of us!
Miss ya, Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

yay sammy! suuuucky about the luggage but hopefully it'll get to you safely and hassle free. i'm so excited to sit and read your blog so you BETTER keep it updated. between you and britni (my friend/old roomie), i'll have lots of blog reading to do in my "spare time". wooooot!

glad it's all setting in that you're there and such. yay for italy! anytime people talk about rome and italy i want to be like "My little sister is there RIGHT NOW!!" ... but resist half the time haha well CIAO and have fun!

missy

Unknown said...

Wow this should definitely keep me entertained while I finish out travel season. I was just telling one of my friends yesterday that my real vacation doesn't come until December this year. I can't wait to join you!

By the way, in case you may not have heard from anyone yet, the Brewers won a wild card spot in the play-offs (not that you really care) which means Missy and I will be putting in one more weekend at Miller Park. Everyone was so crazy today. We won the game but we still needed the Mets to lose so the fans sat in the stadium and watch the Mets game on the jumbo tron. Crazy maddness.

Well I will be heading to the Fox Valley this week to keep Mom and Dad from getting too much "empty nest syndrome"

Good Luck with your week!

Cas

Maria said...

Sam, I guess I should have warned you about the drivers, oops. So you were totally on both of my parents' flights.

You are going to love the Scavi tour! It was one of my favorite things we did.

Guess what? I am going to do a semester in Rome now. VISION was too expensive. I am looking to do Spring, but Father Keating is going in the Fall.

Anyways, have lots of fun!!!
Maria

Anonymous said...

Ciao Bella,
Sono 9:00pm and I just got
your e-mail. Tears and laughter of great joy for you and your stories to come.

I am so excited and very honored to be connect to you this way. I will live in Italy vicariously thru your blog!!!!

Hai una boun giornata.
Wish I was there!
Mama Toni Binz

ps.I look forward to seeing you write in Italian as you learn the language.

pss. Find out if it is true, that you can drink water from the fountains in Rome. (I heard it on the travel channel from Sam Brown).

Anonymous said...

I agree with the crazy Roman driving. I don't think they should re-paint the lines on the road because they aren't followed anyways. I went on a Schavi tour today and loved it. I had my own personal pause to pray for everyone I promised to pray for while close to the tomb. Our guide did not even pause, but kept us moving. By the way, don't dress like you are going underground...it was extremely humid but totally worth it. I can't wait to see you soon :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with the crazy Roman driving. I don't think they should re-paint the lines on the road because they aren't followed anyways. I went on a Schavi tour today and loved it. I had my own personal pause to pray for everyone I promised to pray for while close to the tomb. Our guide did not even pause, but kept us moving. By the way, don't dress like you are going underground...it was extremely humid but totally worth it. I can't wait to see you soon :) By the way, the water from certain fountians is totally fair game. I will show you when I see you. God bless!