Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Scavi, Pilgrimages, and Colds

Friday we got up early for Italian class and then met at the Vatican for a Scavi tour. We were able to pray before St. Peter’s grave—imagine, our first pope! We also got the chance to pray before John Paul II’s grave. It was beautiful to be able to be so near to the resting place of such a holy and loved man who really influenced me like a father.Being in St. Peter’s was another breathtaking experience. There is so much to see…so many holy relics and images. So much grace and so much Truth! The Lord is present so vividly in all the imagery in the space. The highlight was that we were able to attend their evening daily mass there.

Saturday seven of us got up very early to join the Christendom College group and Fr. Justin for the Seven Church Pilgrimage. This is the same pilgrimage St. Philip Niri took thousands of pilgrims on every year. We started at St. Mary Major, then St. Lawrence outside the Walls, Santa Croce, St. John Lateran, St. Sebastian, St .Paul outside the Walls, and finally with St. Peter’s. It totaled about 20+ miles of walking…which would have been very difficult, except it was so beautiful because every church we went to had so many saint’s bodies and relics that the grace from this experience really helped carry you on. We ended at about 7 pm and were able to join the Christendom group for pizza for dinner. It was wonderful being able to get to know anther group of Catholic Americans studying here!

Sunday we got up early and went to St. Paul outside the Walls for mass with the Pope! Wow I cannot believe we got to see the Pope twice in one week! It was again such a blessing to be with the Holy Father and so many other holy people!Well as you can see it has been quite an exausting week.
I did run into some seminarians I know from the North American College! It's quite a small world really. :) Matt Wiering...who was my old chaplain's cousin and also my brother in law's best friend sat next to me at mass and is also helping out with our chaplaincy here at Bernardi. Also Jake Strand, who is a Milwaukee native. The other seminarian who is helping out with our chaplaincy is from the Madison area. Wisconsin is being represented well here!

On the way out I finally got to meet Nina, who is our amazing woman chaplain. She is originally from near Cologne, Germany. She is a consecrated single lay woman...and charismatic! :) She knew my friends from Spring very well so I was really excited to meet her. We ended up being at the back of our group on the way to lunch and then she wanted to stop to say hi to some German bishops. Well the rest of the group went on and I was behind with her...meeting 3 German bishops! Ah! Ha it was awesome but I get really nervous/excited around people like bishops, etc. so it was really unreal for me...and then she wanted to introduce me and tell them I spoke German! So that was embarassing because the auxillery bishop from Trier was asking me where I was from and I was so nervous/excited I responded "Bernardi!" Ahaha! He was confused and Nina just laughed at me and I was like...."Oh no...I mean...Wisconsin"

What was so amazing was meeting all the people aroudn us. A whole lot of German people...either who were just studying here or visiting...were flocking around to say hi to the bishops and meet each other. Then on the metro I met a lot of people from a youth group run by the Emmanuel community. There are youth studying and visiting from all over...the youth group is a place for these pilgrims to come together from all over. I met people from Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, and all over. Nina is going to incorporate some of her ministry with us with this group. Friday night they have adoration and rosary and usually a Cardinal comes to lead it! What a blessing! I'm so excited. :)

We had lunch at a place where Fr. Carola's friend owns it...and I ended up ordering some pasta with octapus of course. I have the oddest luck with food...Yes there were tentacles and all!

Then we had chaplain orientation...so we got to officially meet Nina and Fr. Carola. Fr. Carola is a rock solid Jesuit who knows absolutly everyone...even the Pope! He was talking about our community life etc...and it was just so beautiful. He has so much wisdom! Every Wednesday we have community nights. At 5:30 there is a holy hour accompanied by confessions. Then at 6:30 we have mass. Following mass we meet together to discuss various topics and visit with various guests. Many bishops and cardinals have come before. Fr. said that he things George Weigel will be coming and even Scott Hahn! Not to mention ARCHBISHOP BURKE!!! :) Following we have dinner together and night prayer. We have our first official one this Wednesday. :) Fr. said he used to ask Pope Benedict when he was Cardinal Ratzinger...but unfortunatly he's a bit busy now to be able to do that.

Wow. I'm so excited! :) And just what a great time to come together as a community...this wonderful community that I feel we already have been forming!

Yesterday we had an intro to Dominican kind of class with Fr. Charles at the Ang. Then Marisa and I went grocery shopping...and got way lost. We eventually found it though :) And a place to get our own Mary's sandwhiches! (Ah I miss Mary at the Binz at St. Thomas....) Mary's Snack Bar...had some yummy egg bacon sandwhich. YAY meat!

Then we had Italian class. Marta...our teacher...was trying to talk to someone in the back and was like "quiet quiet I can't hear Sam is laughing too loud" and I wasn't even laughing! I'm already getting a reputation here...oh boy!

Then I went to evening mass at Sancta Maria del Popolo near our place. And also managed to make a yummy pasta dish all in the microwave :) Frozen veggie mixes do wonders!
I went to bed early because I was hacking up a lung. Everyone has a bit of the plague here and it is NOT good times. :(
Today we went to a museum Thanos arranged for us which really ended up being the history of the Roman sewer system...Er....neat cultural experience Thanos?

At 3 we have Italian class again and afterwards some of us are going to happy hour at the Hard Rock Cafe and then I'll probably go to mass and back here to hang out.
I am gearing up for one more week like this until we start classes on the 13th.
God love you!
Sam

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam, it's so good to hear the group is doing well! As we're preparing for spring I'm getting excited. Thanks for the updates!

Blessings and Peace to you all!
Ryan

Jen said...

Sounds great hon! Wow, what amazing experiences; thanks for the updates! Who is the other chaplain from near Madison? I am wondering if he went to WYD in Germany. And sweet, you got to meet the bishop of Trier??? Was the bishop of Cologne there? He is amazing! Hope you get better! Wow, you're really walking a lot. Eat a lot so you don't lose too much weight! Love the updates and I am so grateful for them! Love you!

Unknown said...

how's the scenery?

drink some OJ ... eat more vitamins and GET BETTER! Don't want to miss out on anything.

sounds like everything is AMAZING! Keep with the updates! 74days till we are there!! WAHOO!